Transportation & Logistics - 7 Benefits of a 3PL Vs Traditional Freight Carriers
By Earl White
The day and age of Freight Shipping has seen a drastic change over the last 15 years. There was once a time wherein a Traditional Freight Carrier would dominate the Heavyweight shipping market with it's large fleet of vehicles, brand name recognition, and it's so-called ability to service their customers total shipping needs.
Much like the deregulation of the Telecommunication Industry in 1996, when smaller companies were finally allowed to take part in the booming market of telecommunications, the freight industry witnessed a resurgence, wherein smaller Regional carriers began to understand that there was a market for them. By specializing in smaller sections of their local areas, these companies began to develop a niche. The larger carriers had a choice to make, whether or not they wanted to compete, or concede these lanes, and they elected the ladder. Although the Freight Industry didn't have any "mandates" on customers having to use certain carriers, the big guys seemed to corner the market on virtually all heavyweight shipping needs, mainly because of their size and notoriety.
Fast forward to 2010, and yet another entity has developed, and taken the Transportation Industry by storm. The concept of Third Party Logistics has swept through the shipping industry and transformed the way companies do business.
3PL's came along and decided, to not just focus on a customers small parcel business, or heavyweight freight business, but to take a look at their entire supply chain. So they came up with the idea of going to the small parcel industry, the large traditional carriers, the regional carriers, and the freight forwarding community to negotiate rates, to go out and offer ALL services to a client base. To say the idea worked would be an understatement, the 3PL market today is in the area of $110 billion dollars.
Below are the top 7 features and benefits of using a Third Party Logistics company over a Traditional Carrier:
1) Flexibility- Having the ability to choose from multiple carriers who specialize in certain regions of the USA, benefit customers in that in many cases, the traditional carrier may not have a solid distribution process to a certain destination, thus being able to pick from multiple resources, allows the customer to plan more strategically to enhance their Supply Chain. TC"s are very predictable, long haul or short haul shipping, is what they do.
2) Improved Transit Times- The ability to better one's transit times means the faster they get their product to market, thus speeding up the time they are paid from their customers. Or the faster they can bring materials to their facility for production, the faster they can get their product out to market. Just in Time Management, also begins to play a part in a Supply Chain, which leads to customers being able to keep less inventory, and build on demand for better efficiency. TC's can have great transit times in some areas, but be slow in other areas-typically they give you very little options to improve the transit time.
3) One Stop Shopping- The idea of being able to go to a single source and having all the resources that is needed is huge. The Y2K age has brought about the need for speed. Shippers are constantly searching for more efficient ways to get their job done. Better technology, more resources, shorter lead times are a few of the reasons that shippers have turned to 3PL's. The ability to go to an online site, have competitive rates in place from a myriad of carriers, and be able to track and trace those shipments, have taken the place of the 800 lb. shipping gorilla. As mentioned already TC's are very vanilla, and you get what you get.
4) Versatility- 3PL's allow for small, to medium size companies, the ability to align resources with business objectives. By using a 3PL, the small guys can make themselves seem larger in the market place. TC's align themselves with the larger Fortune 500 companies, and service the smaller companies as a means to an end.
5) Total Supply Chain Management- A company has the ability to control costs and efficiency throughout their whole supply chain with a 3PL. A traditional carrier allows specific lane costs cutting, but doesn't look at the customer's Supply Chain as a whole.
6) Convenience- The ability to deal with 1 company for multiple services far outweighs having to deal with multiple companies for single service.Also, your accounting department will love you. as using muliple TC's can cause much confusion in the accounting department.
7) Partners- If you can find a 3PL that is looking out for your best interest, they can become a partner of sorts. A good 3PL will be constantly looking out for their customers best interest, throughout the life of the relationship. They have no biases toward any one carrier or methods that you are used to get the job done. Traditional Carriers are heavily biased and will only help you, as long as you are doing business with them.
A third party logistics company, or abbreviated 3PL or TPL, is a firm that provides a one stop shop service to its customers of outsourced services or parts, or all of their supply chain management functions.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Earl_White
They have the information, the associations, and the arranging capacity to get you through this as easily as could be expected under the circumstances.https://europa-road.eu/ReplyDelete
It's a decent post, Which you have shared here about Freight Carriers. Your blog is enlightening and I truly loved the manner in which you communicated your perspectives in this post. Thank you for sharing such blogs. sea freight shipping from China to USAReplyDelete
With the boom in e-commerce marketing the international transport has become increasingly popular providing international freight forwarding services, More and companies from the freight forwarders association are utilizing intermodal transport because it offers a huge profit. Check shipping from China to UK that offers a range of services.ReplyDelete
Incredible articles and awesome, Your blog furnished us with important data to work with. Each tip of your post are amazing. we provide International Freight Forwarding Companies at affordable charges. to know more visit our website.ReplyDelete
Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. shipping service in UAE from USAReplyDelete
You have a real ability to write a content that is helpful for us. Thank you for your efforts in sharing such blogs to us. Local Freight ShippersReplyDelete
This is a stunning website; I was attempting to sort out some way to stay in touch with your blog until I found a good data about essay. I truly wish you to have a decent day and keep with the great work! Kilim RugsReplyDelete
Really glad to say, your post is very interesting to read. I never stop myself to say anything about it. You are doing a great job. Thank you for sharing this blog here. UPS AuditReplyDelete
Thank you for putting all these strategies into a very readable place. It shows your ability and great skills. keep sharing such articles in future. Online Shipping Company From USA To KenyaReplyDelete
Pleasant post! This is an extremely pleasant blog that I will absolutely return to more occasions this year! A debt of gratitude is in order for instructive post. International Freight Forwarder service AustraliaReplyDelete
Such a lovely collection which you have shared here. I liked your way to express your views in this post. Thank you for sharing this blog with us. freight shipping services in CanadaReplyDelete
Dave Culp of Kiteship has achieved a technical feasibility look at on becoming a totally massive kite onto a traditional cruise deliver. This might dramatically lessen gasoline intake.Shipping from China to UsReplyDelete
Excellent knowledge, I am very much thankful to you that you have shared good information with us. Here I got some special kind of knowledge and it is helpful for everyone. Thanks for share it.Importing Cars From DubaiReplyDelete
I appreciate your efforts which you have put into this article. Genuinely it is a useful article to increase our knowledge. Thanks for share an article like this.international courier from india to GermanyReplyDelete
I am very thankful to you that you have shared this information with us. Read more info about Transportation Of Dangerous Goods Online Course. I got some different kind of knowledge from your web page, and it is really helpful for everyone. Thanks for share it.ReplyDelete